Causes and Symptoms of Back Pain
Back Pain is one of the most common reasons for which people visit doctors. This is a leading cause of disability and most people have back pain at least once. Individual can take proper measures to prevent or relieve back pain. Sometimes even if the prevention fails, simple home treatment and proper body massage will heal your back and within a week your back will start functioning properly.
What are the symptoms of Back Pain?
Following are the signs, and symptoms of back pain,
- Shooting or stabbing your pain
- Muscle ache
- Pain that worsens with bending, standing, lifting, or walking
- Pain that mostly improves with reclining
- Pain that radiates down the leg
When to consult Doctor?
In most situation back pain improves with the help of home treatment and self care. If not talk to your doctor.
In some cases back pain can give a serious medical problem. Immediately consult your doctor if your back pain:
- Causes new bowel or bladder problems
- Back pain is accompanied by fever
- Follows a fall, blow to your back or some other injury
Also, contact your doctor if your back pain:
- Is severe, and does not improve with a proper rest
- Spreads down one or both legs, specially if the pain extends below the knee
- Causes weakness and also numbness and tingling in one or both legs
- Is accompanied by weight loss
Individual should see doctor if they start having back pain for a first time after age of 50. Or if you have history of osteoporosis, cancer, excessive use of alcohol or drug and use of steroid seek immediately.
Causes of Back Pain:
Pain in back that comes suddenly lasts no more than 6 weeks, This is known as acute back pain. In the same way back pain that last for more than 3 months and known as chronic back pain.
Following is the common condition linked to back pain:
Muscle or Ligament Strain:
If you are repeatedly lifting heavy material or sudden awkward movement can strain your back muscle and spinal ligament. If patient is poor in physical condition then constant strain on your back can cause painful muscle spasms.
Osteoarthritis can also affect your lower back. In some condition, arthritis in the spine can narrow the space around the spinal cord. This is called as spinal stenosis.
In this condition your spine curves to the side which is known as scoliosis. This can also lead to back pain.
An individual’s spine vertebrae can develop fractures if the bone becomes brittle and porous.
Most of the time acute pain gets better within a week by doing home treatment. But if the home treatment is not working even after so many days or weeks than your doctor might suggest you stronger medication or some other therapies.
Depending on type of back pain, doctor may recommended the following:
- Over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen or naproxen sodium help to relieve acute pain. Always take this medication as directed by your doctor or expert. Overdose can cause serious side effect.
- Muscle Relaxants:
- Sometime mild to moderate back pain does not improve with OTC pain relievers, that time your doctor may prescribe a muscle relaxant. This medication can make you sleepy and dizzy.
Topical pain relievers:
Also, doctor may prescribe creamed, ointments or salves. Rub this creams at the site of your pain.
Drugs containing opioids such as hydrocodone or oxycodone may be prescribed for short time. Mostly opioids does not work well in chronic pain.
Low doses of Antidepressants like tricyclic antidepressant including amittriptyline has been used to relieve some types of chronic back pain.
Sometime the measures does not relieve pain, and if the pain radiates down in your leg than doctor may inject cortisone. This is an anti inflammatory medication used to cure the pain in back.
Physical therapy and exercise:
A Physical Therapist can use variety of treatment which may include heat, electrical stimulation, ultrasound, and muscle-release techniques, to your back muscles, and also to soft tissues to reduce pain.
In some condition doctor may recommend surgery for back pain.
Sometime alternative treatments are also carried out to treat you bank which are as follows:
- Chiropractic care