High Blood Pressure – Causes, Treatment and Symptoms
High Blood Pressure is a common condition in which the force of blood against your artery wall is too high that it may cause health problems like heat disease. Mostly blood pressure is determined by the amount of blood your heart pumps and also the amount of resistance to blood flow in your artery. The more blood your heart pumps at same time they higher your blood pressure. Individual can have high blood pressure for years without any sign or symptoms.
What are the symptoms of Blood Pressure?
As I said most people with high level of blood pressure shows no sign or symptoms, even if they have high level blood pressure. Common symptoms with high blood pressure may have headaches, shortness of breath and nosebleeds. But this symptoms are not specific and does not occur until high blood pressure has reached to severe stage.
What are the causes of High blood pressure?
Actually there are two types of high blood pressure, they are as follows:
Primary (essential) hypertension:
In most adults there is no cause of high blood pressure. Such type of high blood pressure is called Primary (essential) hypertension. This tends to develop over many years.
Some individuals have high blood pressure which are caused by an underlying condition. Such type of high blood pressure are called secondary hypertension. This type of blood pressure tends to appear suddenly and they cause high blood pressure than primary hypertension does. Following medications and conditions can lead to secondary hypertension:
- Kidney problems
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Thyroid problems
- Illegal drugs, such as cocaine and amphetamines
- Adrenal gland tumors
What are the risk factors?
High blood pressure may have many risk factors which may include:
- Family History
- If you are obese or overweight
- If you are having tobacco
- Never being physically active
- Heavy consumption of alcohol
- Too little potassium in your diet
- Too much salt in your diet
- And certain Chronic conditions
- Sometime pregnancy also contributes to high blood pressure.
Treatment for High Blood Pressure:
Diagnosis and treatment of high blood pressure:
If you change your lifestyle you can go long way in controlling your high blood pressure. You may recommend by your doctor to make life style changes which include:
- Eat a heart-healthy diet with less salt
- Maintain a healthy weight or lose weight if you are overweight or obese
- Limit the amount of alcohol you drink
- Regular physical activity
But in some condition changes in lifestyle in not enough. In addition to your diet and exercise, your doctor may also recommend some medication to lower your high blood pressure.
The treatment goals to maintain your blood pressure depends on how healthy you are. Your treatment goal should be less than 130/80 mm If:
- You are a healthy adult age 65 or older.
- You are a healthy adult younger than age 65 with a 10 percent or higher risk of developing cardiovascular disease in the next 10 years.
- You have chronic kidney disease, diabetes or coronary artery disease.