Symptoms, Causes and Treatment of Psoriasis
Psoriasis is a chronic skin condition which is caused by an overactive immune system. This skin disorder causes skin cells to multiply ten times faster than the normal. This usually makes the skin to build up red patches which are covered with white scales. This can grow anywhere, but mostly they appear on elbows, knees, and lower back. This type of skin disease can pass from person to person. Sometimes it takes place in members of the same family. Psoriasis mostly appears in early adulthood. In most of the people it affects only few areas. But in severe cases it can cover large part of body. This patches can heal and come back throughout person’s life.
What are the Symptoms of Psoriasis?
The symptoms of Psoriasis can vary depending on the type of Psoriasis patients have. The common symptoms are as follows:
- Red Rashes or patches, inflamed skin, often covered with loose, silver-colored scales.
- In most severe cases, the plaques will grow and merge into one another, covering large areas of body.
- Itchy, painful skin that can crack or even bleed.
- Scaly plaques on the scalp.
- Psoriasis is also been associated with psoriatic arthritis which causes swollen joints. Among 10% to 30% of patient with psoriasis will also have this joint condition.
Types of Psoriasis:
There are 7 types of Psoriasis which are listed below:
- Pustular Psoriasis
- Nail Psoriasis
- Plaque Psoriasis
- Guttate Psoriasis
- Erythrodermic Psoriasis
- Inverse Psoriasis
- Psoriatic Arthritis
Mostly this types of Psoriasis results from the same trigger, which are as follows:
- Skin Injury
- Many more things that may trigger psoriasis includes:
Causes of Psoriasis:
The causes and risk factors of psoriasis are as follows:
Lot of consumption of alcohols have high chances of such infection. Also, alcohol can make treatment less effective.
This can double your risk of getting psoriasis. Even if you have relative with this disease than also you are more likely to have psoriasis. Smoking makes harder to get rid of the symptoms of psoriasis.
Study says that your immune system may respond to mental and emotional pressures, and same way it does to physical problems like infections and injuries.
Some of the given treatment can make this symptoms worst:
- Lithium treats mental illness and bipolar disorders.
- Antimalarial medicines like hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil), chloroquine, and quinacrine.
- Indocin which treats inflammation.
Psoriasis in worse in the beginning stages of HIV. But it can get better once you start treatment.
Natural sunlight is good for most of the people having Psoriasis. But later the sun can make their condition worse. So protect your skin when you are going outside.
People who are obese are more likely to get plaques in their skin.
Psoriasis may be worse in winter. Dry air, cold temperature and less sunlight makes the symptoms of Psoriasis worse than before. Always keep your skin moist at home.
Treatment of Psoriasis:
The treatment for Psoriasis help to reduce inflammation and also clears the skin. Treatments are divided into 3 main parts which are as follows:
- Topical Treatment
- Light Therapy
- Systemic Medication